Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Looking forward Hanukkah

I am not Jewish, never have been...but have always had this unique fascination with the religion on all levels. As a kid I was a big fan of the necklaces that carried a scroll (mezuzah)...or even more envious that I was the only one that wasn't going to school on Saturday. Living in Alief all the subcultures had their own version of Saturday school to make sure they still held on to their cultural foundations. I always felt left out that I didn't have my own version of Hebrew school to attend religiously on Saturday.

But as I got older I started wishing why I wasn't one of the lucky kids who got to wear a yamika. Or to watch the jealousy spiral out of control... why wasn't I one of those kids that got to spend 8 days spinning the dreidel, lighting my menorah, and opening presents during the festival of light?!

Closing in on 30 years old, I often wish I had a Jewish partner...one that would show me all the ropes of the Jewish faith that I had been so envious of all these years, one with a strong Jewish mother like you see in all the movies that I could win over...EVEN having been brought up Catholic, and learning to acquire a taste for Manischewitz.

And the more and more I think about it...I guess 8 nights of playing with hot candle wax after the festivities were all over wouldn't be such a bad thing either ;)

No comments: